Why in news?
The J&K administration on 18th May 2020 notified the J&K grant of domicile certificate procedure rules 2020 and set a fast track process in motion to issue the certificates within a stipulated time of 15 days.
To make the process transparent and time-bound, any officer not able to issue the certificate would be pensalised ₹50,000.
Who can Apply for the Domicile Certificate?
Under the amended rules, eligible non-locals can also apply for the certificate.
- Domicile certificates have now been made a basic eligibility condition for appointment to any post under the Union Territory of J&K following the amendments in the previous Act.
- All Permanent Resident Certificate holders and their children living outside J&K can apply for the certificates.
- A special window is also provided to migrants who have not registered with the Relief and Rehabilitation department. Bonafide migrants can apply with the Relief and Rehabilitation department by providing documents like electoral rolls of 1988, proof of registration as a migrant in any State in the country or any other valid document.
- The new process will allow West Pakistan refugees, safai karamcharis and children of women who married non-locals to apply for jobs here.
- Children who can produce Class 10 or Class 12 certificate from any J&K school will also be eligible for these certificates.
- Those also eligible for the certificates would include children of a person who has been a resident for a period of fifteen years.
- A person who has studied for a period of seven years and appeared in class 10/12th examination in an educational institution located in J&K will also be eligible.
According to the new domicile laws:
- Central government officials
- All India Service Officers
- Officials of Public Sector Undertakings
- Officials of Autonomous bodies of the Central Government
- Officials of Public Sector Banks
- Officials of Statutory bodies
- Officials of Central Universities and recognised research institutes of the Central Government
who have served in the Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir for a total period of ten years – are eligible for the certificate.