The President and the Prime Minister recently paid their tributes to the armed forces on Kargil Vijay Diwas, acknowledging their extraordinary valour and the victory achieved.
GS I: History
Dimensions of the Article:
- Kargil Vijay Diwas
- Key Facts about Kargil War
Kargil Vijay Diwas:
- Celebrated on July 26 annually to commemorate India’s victory in the Kargil War against Pakistan.
- Honors the bravery and sacrifice of the soldiers during the 1999 war.
- 2023 marks the 24th anniversary of Kargil Vijay Diwas.
Key Facts about Kargil War:
- Fought between India and Pakistan at the Line of Control (LoC) in Kargil, Jammu and Kashmir.
- Surprise Attack: Pakistani forces intruded into Indian territory, occupying key vantage points in the Kargil region.
- Codename for the Indian Army’s response to recapture the occupied positions.
- Notable success in recapturing the famous ‘Tiger Hill’ and other strategic posts.
- High Altitude Warfare: The war was fought at extreme altitudes, with battlegrounds reaching heights of over 18,000 feet.
- The conflict lasted for approximately three months.
- Indian Army utilized heavy artillery, air power, and major infantry operations.
- Employed Bofors FH-77B howitzers to shoot down enemy positions.
- Received support from Israel’s Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) during the conflict.
- The Kargil War was the first-ever war to be broadcasted live on TV channels in India.
End of Conflict:
- The war came to an end on July 26, 1999, when India successfully pushed back the Pakistani forces from the occupied positions.
- Approximately 500 Indian soldiers sacrificed their lives during the war.
- Around 1,000 Pakistani troops were reported to have been killed.
- Kargil Vijay Diwas is a reminder of the valor and sacrifices made by the Indian armed forces in defending the nation’s borders.
- It symbolizes the indomitable spirit of the Indian Army and the determination to protect the sovereignty of the country.
- The day serves as a tribute to the soldiers who displayed extraordinary courage and dedication in adverse conditions during the Kargil War.
- The Kargil War remains an important event in the history of India, demonstrating the resilience and capability of the Indian armed forces in defending the nation’s security.
- It strengthened India’s resolve to address security challenges and maintain peace in the region.
- On Kargil Vijay Diwas, various events and ceremonies are organized across the country to pay homage to the martyrs and honor the valor of the Indian Army.
- The day is observed with reverence and pride by citizens and the armed forces alike, as they remember the heroic deeds of the soldiers during the Kargil War.
-Source: The Hindu