Focus: GS-III Environment and Ecology, Prelims
Why in news?
Establishment Karimpuzha Wildlife Sanctuary makes it the18th wildlife sanctuary in the State is spread over an area of 227.97 sq km.
- The Karimpuzha sanctuary will comprise the new Amarambalam reserve forest and Vadakkekotta vested forest.
- It is expected that the new sanctuary would help lift the living conditions of the local people, including tribal people.
- More employment would be created through ecotourism projects.
- The Manjeri colony of the primitive Cholanaikar tribes has been exempted from the sanctuary.
- It borders the Mukkuruthi National Park in the south and the Silent Valley National Park buffer zone in the northeast.
-Source: Hindustan Times