Why in news?
The Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan (KVS) has taken various steps for Online Teaching-Learning Process.
- In light of the ongoing situation with the COVID-19 outbreak, the Union HRD Ministry had directed the heads of all autonomous institutions coming under its ambit to take care of the academic welfare of the students.
- KVS has shared some action points with all the Principals for implementation to the extent possible, to encourage all teachers in the system to engage their students in learning through digital modes.
- Using NIOS Platform:
- KVS has shared the schedule of lessons of the recorded and live programmes of NIOS for secondary and senior secondary classes from their SWAYAM PRABHA PORTAL.
- NIOS and NCERT are providing online lessons as well as telecasting lessons on TV.
SWAYAM is a free online education program started by the Government of India.
Objectives of SWAYAM?
It was started to achieve 3 important principles of education policy
The SWAYAM course is free of cost. Fees are only levied if the learner requires a certificate.
How is the SWAYAM program conducted?
- It is conducted through a platform that facilitates the hosting of all courses.
- Courses included are from Class 9 till post-graduation.
- Courses can be accessed by anyone, anywhere at any time.
- More than 1,000 specially chosen faculty and teachers were part of preparing these courses.
Features of SWAYAM program?
- Video lecture
- Specially prepared reading material that can be downloaded/printed.
- Self-assessment through quizzes and tests.
- There is an online discussion forum for clearing doubts.
- `SWAYAM’, an initiative of the Government of India, aims at (UPSC-2016)
(a) promoting the Self Help Groups in rural areas
(b) providing financial and technical assistance to young start-up entrepreneurs
(c) promoting the education and health of adolescent girls
(d) providing affordable and quality education to the citizens for free