Why in news?
Under Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana (PMKSY) – Accelerated Irrigation Benefits Programme (AIBP), 99 major and medium irrigation projects having combined ultimate irrigation potential of 75.43 lakh Ha are under implementation; and under CADWM, development of the command area of these 99 projects have been taken up, targeting 44.35 lakh Ha of Culturable Command Area (CCA) .
- The Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare implements Per Drop More Crop (PDMC) component of PMKSY which focuses on enhancing water use efficiency at farm level through precision/micro irrigation by providing financial assistance the States.
- The scheme also supports micro level water storage or water conservation / management activities to supplement micro irrigation.
Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana (PMKSY)
- Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchai Yojana is a national mission to improve farm productivity and ensure better utilization of the resources in the country.
- The primary objectives of PMKSY are to attract investments in irrigation system at field level, develop and expand cultivable land in the country, enhance ranch water use in order to minimize wastage of water, enhance crop per drop by implementing water-saving technologies and precision irrigation.
- The plan additionally calls for bringing ministries, offices, organizations, research and financial institutions occupied with creation and recycling of water under one platform so that an exhaustive and holistic outlook of the whole water cycle is considered.
- The goal is to open the doors for optimal water budgeting in all sectors.
- Tagline for PMKSY is “more crop per drop”.’
- Convergence of investment in irrigation at the field level
- Expand cultivable area under irrigation
- Improve On-farm water use efficiency to reduce wastage of water
- Enhance the adoption of being precise in irrigation and other water saving technologies (more crop per drop)