Focus: GS I: Festivals
Why in News?
Recently, the Union Minister of Science & Technology inaugurated the Lavender festival at Bhaderwah in the Jammu region.
Lavender Festival and CSIR-Aroma Mission
- The Lavender Festival marks the second year of the lavender revolution, highlighting Bhaderwah as the Lavender capital of India and an Agri StartUp destination.
- The Council of Scientific & Industrial Research- Indian Institute of Integrative Medicine (CSIR-IIIM) supports farmers in cultivating Lavender in Bhaderwah, Doda district, Jammu and Kashmir (J&K) as part of the CSIR-Aroma Mission.
- CSIR-Aroma Mission is a flagship project of the Council of Scientific & Industrial Research (CSIR) launched under the
- Ministry of Science and Technology.
- Its primary objective is to promote Lavender cultivation in the temperate regions of Jammu and Kashmir.
- The mission aims to increase the income of small and marginal farmers while fostering the development of agriculture-based startups.
- Lavender is a flowering plant that belongs to the mint family and is recognized by its delightful floral fragrance.
- It is believed to be native to the Mediterranean, the Middle East, and India.
- The Lavender Festival celebrates the progress made in lavender cultivation in Bhaderwah, Jammu and Kashmir, and promotes the economic upliftment of farmers through the CSIR-Aroma Mission.