Focus: GS-II Social Justice
Why in news?
- At a time when it is mulling the reopening of schools amid the pandemic, the Odisha government has issued a notice to 15 districts to complete the merger of 8,000 schools with low enrolment.
- The merger is being carried out under the NITI Aayog’s Sustainable Action for Transforming Human Capital in Education (SATH-E) project, and has been termed Consolidation and Rationalisation of schools.
Sustainable Action for Transforming Human Capital (SATH)
- ‘SATH’ the programme for Sustainable Action for Transforming Human Capital (SATH) focusses on two main sectors — Education and Health and to build three ‘Role Model’ States.
- After an elaborate selection process based on the Challenge Method, three States namely, Jharkhand, Madhya Pradesh and Odisha, were selected for the project.
- The program is being implemented in these States along with knowledge partners Boston Consulting Group (BCG) & Piramal Foundation for Education Leadership (PFEL) consortium with NITI Aayog as a facilitator and coordinator in the process.
- The project is being implemented in three phases over a period of 30 months, coming to an end in 2020.
- The two phases of the project have been completed. It is now in the third phase of implementation, which will last for 18 months.
- Progress of the project is being monitored through a National Steering Group (NSG) and Central Project Monitoring Unit (CPMU) at national level and State Project Monitoring Unit (SPMU) at State level.
Major achievements under the project SATH-Education include:
- In depth field diagnosis of districts and schools of Jharkhand, Odisha, and Madhya Pradesh.
- State transformation roadmaps released for all the three States, which contain quarterly milestones committed for each initiative.
- Critical interventions including school mergers, remediation program, training, monitoring teacher recruitment/ rationalization, institutional reorganization at district and state level and proper utilization of MIS are in execution mode since January, 2018.
-Source: Indian Express