Focus: GS II- Governance
Why in News?
NITI Aayog Celebrates One-Year Anniversary of Shoonya Campaign
About Shoonya campaign :
- Shoonya is a consumer awareness campaign to reduce air pollution by promoting the use of electric vehicles (EVs) for ride-hailing and deliveries.
- The campaign has 130 industry partners, including ride-hailing, delivery and EV companies.
- As part of the campaign, a corporate branding and certification programme is being launched to recognise and promote industry’s efforts towards transitioning to EVs for final-mile deliveries.
- An online tracking platform will share the campaign’s impact through data such as vehicle kilometers electrified, carbon savings, criteria pollutant savings and other benefits from clean delivery vehicles.
To accelerate adoption of electric vehicles (EVs) in the urban deliveries segment and create consumer awareness about the benefits of zero-pollution delivery.
Need for Electric Vehicles:
- Rapid global urbanization and e-commerce sales are driving significant growth in urban freight and mobility demand.
- In India, these sectors are expected to grow at a CAGR of 8% through 2030.
- If this demand is met by internal combustion vehicles (ICE), it would significantly increase local air pollution, carbon emissions, and lead to adverse public health effects.
- EVs offer an opportunity to address these challenges.
- Compared to ICE vehicles, EVs do not emit PM or NOx emissions at the tailpipe; they release 60% less CO2 and have 75% lower operating costs.
- Shoonya supplements existing national and sub-national EV policies as well as corporate efforts in India by creating consumer awareness and demand for zero pollution rides and deliveries in Indian cities.