- GURU TEG BAHADUR
- Cyclonic Storm GATI
GURU TEG BAHADUR
Focus: GS 1 ; Indian culture will cover the salient aspects of Art Forms, literature and Architecture from ancient to modern times.
Why in News?
President of India’s Message on the eve of ‘Martyrdom Day’ of Guru Teg Bahadur
About Guru Teg Bahadur
- The Guru Tegh Bahadur was born on 1 April 1621 in Amritsar and was named Tyaga Mal at birth.
- His parents were Guru Hargobind and Mata Nanaki, the Guru Hargobind was the sixth Sikh Guru.
- As per Sikh tradition, Guru Tegh Bahadur was confirmed as the real Guru through a story involving a wealthy merchant Baba Makhan Shah Labana, the Labana had once offered 500 gold coins to the Sikh Guru if his life was spared.
- He arrived in Bakala and offered 2 gold coins to each person claiming to be the ninth Guru. All of them accepted the 2 gold coins, when Tegh Bahadur was given the 2 gold coins, he said that it fell short of what was originally prayed and promised by Labana, this convinced Labana that he was indeed the Sikh Guru and he made it public to the world.
Above image of Guru Teg Bahadur Ji.
- Accordingly, in August 1664, Guru Tegh Bahadur was anointed the ninth Guru of the Sikhs.
Above attached image of all the 10 Guru’s of Sikhism.
- The Guru Tegh Bahadur travelled far and wide visiting many places in northern India and also Assam and Dhaka, preaching the word of Guru Nanak.
- He started community water wells and langars (community kitchen for the poor and hungry).
- In 1668 in Assam, he was able to preach a treaty between the King of Ahom and Raja Ram Singh of Amber who was sent there by Aurangzeb.
- In 1672, he visited Kashmir where he saw the persecution of non-Muslims.
- The Guru Tegh Bahadur composed many hymns that were added to the Guru Granth Sahib. He wrote the Saloks, 116 shabads and 15 ragas.
- He founded the city of Anandpur Sahib in Punjab in 1665.
- The Guru attracted huge numbers of devotees and followers, this is said to have distressed the Mughal Emperor.
- It is also said that the Guru’s promise of protection to the persecuted Kashmiri Pandits also led to his being summoned to Delhi by the Emperor.
- While the Sikh faith was gathering strength, Aurangzeb was following a policy of religious discrimination and persecution in many places.
- The Tegh Bahadur was brought before the Emperor when he reached Delhi.
- On 24 November 1675, the Guru was publicly beheaded on the orders of Aurangzeb for refusing to accept the authority of Mughal Emperor, at Chandni Chowk in Delhi.
- The Gurdwara Sis Ganj Sahib was built in 1783 at the place where he was beheaded.
- His young son Gobind, who was only nine when his father was killed, became the tenth and the last Sikh Guru.
- The effect of his father’s cruel murder must have been profound on him.
- The Guru Gobind Singh went on to become the founder of the Khalsa and challenged the authority of the Mughals.
Please click on this link and Refer detailed Explanation about Sikhism.
CYCLONIC STORM GATI
Focus: GS1: Important Geophysical phenomena such as earthquakes, Tsunami, Volcanic activity, cyclone etc., geographical features and their location-changes in critical geographical features (including water-bodies and ice-caps) and in flora and fauna and the effects of such changes.
Why in News?
Cyclonic Storm “GATI” weakens into Deep Depression over Somalia.
About Cyclonic Storm GATI
- The very severe cyclonic storm “GATI” over southwest Arabian Sea moved westwards and lay centred at 1730 hrs IST of today over southwest Arabian Sea near Latitude 10.4° N and Longitude 51.5°E, about 40 km east of Somalia coast and 90 km south-southeast of Ras Binnah (Somalia).
Above images attached of Cyclonic Storm GATI and its location as captured by India Mereological Department (IMD).
Please click on this link and Refer detailed Explanation about Tropical Cyclones.
Focus: GS 3; Major crops-cropping patterns in various parts of the country, – different types of irrigation and irrigation systems storage, transport and marketing of agricultural produce and issues and related constraints; e-technology in the aid of farmers.
Why in News?
Tribes India Launches More New Socially Impactful, Immunity Boosting Products
Please click on this link and Refer detailed Explanation about TRIFED.