- 107th Indian Science Congress
- Savitribai Phule
- FAME India Scheme
- National Human Rights Commission
- KVIC Opens Silk Processing Plant in Gujrat
107TH INDIAN SCIENCE CONGRESS
107th Indian Science Congress (ISC) WAS inaugurated at University of Agricultural Sciences, Bengaluru.
- Theme of 107th ISC – “Science and Technology: Rural Development”.
- India now stands at 3rd position globally, in the number of Peer-reviewed Science and Engineering Publications.
- There is a need to ensure the ‘Ease of doing Science’ and effectively using information technology to reduce red tape”.
- Science and technology has a major role in contributing towards making India a $5 Trillion Economy.
- I-STEM (Indian Science Technology and Engineering facilities Map) Portal was launched on the occasion . I-STEM is the gateway for researchers to locate the specific facility(ies) they need for their R&D work
- An Indian social reformer, educationalist, and poet from Maharashtra
- Regarded as the first female teacher of India
- Also regarded as the mother of Indian feminism
- Worked to abolish the discrimination and unfair treatment of people based on caste and gender.
- Was also a prolific Marathi writer
FAME INDIA SCHEME
The Department of Heavy Industries has sanctioned 2636 charging stations in 62 cities across 24 States/Union Territories.
- FAME India (Faster Adoption and Manufacturing of (Hybrid) and Electric Vehicles).
- The objective of the scheme is to increase the use of electric and hybrid vehicles by offering incentives.
- The phase I of the scheme was launched on April 1, 2015 with an allocated budget of Rs 895 crores.
- The phase II was launched on April 1, 2019 with an allocated budget of Rs 10,000 crores.
THE NATIONAL HUMAN RIGHTS COMMISSION
- Statutory public body constituted on 12 October 1993
- Given a statutory basis by the Protection of Human Rights Act, 1993
- Responsible for the protection and promotion of human rights
The NHRC consists of:
- A Chairperson, who has been a Chief Justice of India or a Judge of the Supreme Court
- One member who is, or has been, a Judge of the Supreme Court of India
- One member who is, or has been, the Chief Justice of a High Court
- Three Members, out of which at least one shall be a woman to be appointed from amongst persons having knowledge of, or practical experience in, matters relating to human rights
- In addition, the Chairpersons of National Commissions (Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes, Women , Minorities, Backward Classes, Protection of Child Rights) and Chief Commissioner for Persons with Disabilities serve as ex officio members.
- The sitting Judge of the Supreme Court or sitting Chief Justice of any High Court can be appointed only after the consultation with the Chief Justice of Supreme Court.
The Chairperson and members of the NHRC are appointed by the President of India, on the recommendation of a committee consisting of:
- The Prime Minister (Chairperson)
- The Home Minister
- The Leader of the Opposition in the Lok Sabha (Lower House)
- The Leader of the Opposition in the Rajya Sabha (Upper House)
- The Speaker of the Lok Sabha (Lower House)
- The Deputy Chairman of the Rajya Sabha (Upper House)
KVIC OPENED FIRST SILK PROCESSING PLANT IN GUJRAT
- To boost production of signature Patola Saree
- It will help cut down the cost of production of silk yarn drastically and increase the sale and availability of raw material for Gujarati Patola Sarees locally
- Patola, the trademark Saree of Gujarat, is considered to be very costly and worn only by the Royals or the Aristocrat. Reason being the raw material silk yarn is purchased from Karnataka or West Bengal, where silk processing units are situated, thus increasing the cost of the fabric manifolds.
- Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) is a statutory body established by Union Government, under the Parliament’s ‘Khadi and Village Industries Commission Act of 1956’.]
- It was founded in 1956 with headquartered in Mumbai.
- It works under Union Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME), with regard to khadi and village industries within India.
- The Patola silk was founded by the Salvi caste (Scheduled) in the states of Maharashtra and Karnataka.
- They moved to Gujarat in 12th century in order to acquire patronage of Rajputs.