Focus: GS-III Science and Technology, GS-II International Relations
Why in news?
The ITER Organization is celebrating the Start of Assembly of the ITER Tokamak with a ceremony.
Highlights of Indian PM’s message
- ITER and global participation of scientists and engineers are a perfect illustration of the age-old Indian belief – Vasudhaiva Kutumbakam – the entire world is working together for the betterment of Mankind.
- India stands proud with its fair share of contributions in terms of its in-kind contributions, viz., the cryostat, in vessel shields, substantial contributions to the cooling water, cryogenic and cryo-distribution systems, auxiliary heating devices using RF and beam technologies, multi megawatt power supplies and several diagnostics to help ITER.
International Thermonuclear Experimental Reactor (ITER)
- International Thermonuclear Experimental Reactor (ITER) is an international nuclear fusion research and engineering megaproject, which will be the world’s largest magnetic confinement plasma physics experiment.
- It is an experimental tokamak nuclear fusion reactor that is being built next to the Cadarache facility in Saint-Paul-lès-Durance, in Provence, southern France.
- The goal of ITER is to demonstrate the scientific and technological feasibility of fusion energy for peaceful use.
- The machine aims to demonstrate, for the first time in a fusion reactor, the principle of producing more thermal power than is used to heat the plasma.
The project is funded and run by seven member entities—
- European Union,
- South Korea,
- The United States.