Focus: GS-II International Relations
Why in news?
The United States has told China to close its consulate in Houston, further deteriorating bilateral ties.
- Washington “abruptly demanded” closure of the Houston consulate according to China.
- Beijing condemned the order and threatened retaliation, but did not say what measures it might take.
- The State Department confirmed the decision and said the move was made “to protect American intellectual property and American’s private information.”
National security cited
- U.S. Secretary of State offered no specifics, but repeated accusations about Chinese theft of U.S. and European intellectual property.
- The State Department said the consulate was ordered shut “in order to protect American intellectual property and Americans’ private information.”
- It was not immediately clear why China’s Houston consulate had been singled out.
- Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman said the United States had interfered with China’s diplomatic missions.
-Source: The Hindu