Focus: GS 2 ; Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to Health, Education, Human Resources.
Why in News?
eSanjeevani, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare’s telemedicine initiative has completed 6 Lakh tele consultations. It took only 15 days to complete the last one lakh consultations. In what can be seen as a big push for the ‘Digital India’ initiative of the Prime Minister, the eSanjeevani digital platform has proved its usefulness and easy access for the caregivers and the medical community, and those seeking healthcare services in the times of COVID. States like Tamil Nadu, Kerala and Gujarat run eSanjeevani OPD for 12 hours a day and 7 days a week. It is a testimony to the fact that eSanjeevani is gradually gaining traction with patients and doctors.
- It is a web-based comprehensive telemedicine solution.
- It aims to make healthcare services equitable by bridging the digital divide that exists in both rural areas and isolated communities.
Types of telemedicine services-;-
- This eSanjeevani platform has enabled two types of telemedicine services viz. Doctor-to-Doctor (eSanjeevani) and Patient-to-Doctor (eSanjeevani OPD) Tele-consultations.
- The former is being implemented under the Ayushman Bharat Health and Wellness Centre (AB-HWCs) programme.
- It has made it convenient for people to avail health services without travel.
- It can also be used to provide medical education to interns, people across Various Common Service Centers (CSCs), etc.
- It has been designed as a highly customizable and flexible application for the users to choose from the varied specialties such as teleophthalmology, telecardiology etc.
- It includes demographic and other patient data like clinical examination reports, physical examination reports along with the patient’s medical history, family’s medical history, etc.
- It enables doctors to have a video/audio conversation with the consulting medical experts at the remote end.