Recently, the Botanical Survey of India has published a new report titled ‘Rhododendrons of Sikkim and Darjeeling Himalaya- An Illustrated Account’, which lists 45 taxa of rhododendrons.
Facts for Prelims
What is Rhododendron?
- Rhododendrons are a diverse genus of flowering plants comprising approximately 1,000 species.
- They are primarily found in temperate regions across Asia, North America, and Europe, as well as in tropical regions in southeast Asia and northern Australia.
- Rhododendrons are known for their vibrant, colourful flowers that grow in showy clusters.
- Many species are cultivated as ornamental plants in gardens and parks.
- These evergreen or deciduous shrubs or small trees have woody stems and broad, leathery leaves.
- In India, the Pink Rhododendron is the state flower of Himachal Pradesh, while Rhododendron arboreum is the state flower of Nagaland and the official State Tree of Uttarakhand.
-Source: The Hindu