Which of the following statements is/are correct regarding Brahmo Samaj?
1. It opposed idolatry.
2. It denied the need for a priestly class for interpreting the religious texts.
3. It popularized the doctrine that the Vedas are infallible.
Select the correct answer using the codes given below :(2012)
a) 1 only
b) 1 and 2 only
c) 3 only
d) 1, 2 and 3
- Raja Ram Mohan Roy founded Brahmo Sabha in 1828, which was later renamed as Brahmo Samaj.
- Its chief aim was the worship of the eternal God. It was against priesthood, rituals and sacrifices.
- It focused on prayers, meditation and reading of the scriptures. It believed in the unity of all religions.
- It was the first intellectual reform movement in modern India. It led to the emergence of rationalism and enlightenment in India which indirectly contributed to the nationalist movement.
- It believed that Vedas are not infallible.