The envoys to India of nine Eastern European countries called Bucharest Nine jointly wrote to Indian public about the Russian invasion in Ukraine.
What is Bucharest Nine?
- It is a group of nine NATO countries in Eastern Europe that became part of the US-led military alliance after the end of the Cold War.
- It was founded on November 4, 2015, and takes its name from Bucharest, the capital of Romania.
- The B9 are Romania, Poland, Hungary, Bulgaria, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania.
- All members of the B9 are part of the European Union (EU) and North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO).
Functions of B9
- Deepening the dialogue and consultation among the participant allied states.
- Total compliance with the principles of solidarity and indivisibility of the security of the NATO Member States.
Source – Indian Express