The Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters has awarded the Abel prize for the year 2022 to American Mathematician Dennis Parnell Sullivan for his contributions to topology.
- Awarded annually by the King of Norway to one or more outstanding mathematicians.
- Named after Norwegian mathematician Niels Henrik Abel (1802–1829) and directly modeled after the Nobel Prizes.
- Its establishment was proposed by the Norwegian mathematician Sophus Lie.
- The laureates are selected by the Abel Committee, the members of which are appointed by the Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters.
- R. Srinivasa Varadhan, an Indian-American citizen won the Abel Prize in the year 2007 for his valuable contribution in “probability theory and in particular for creating a unified theory of large deviation”.
Source – The Hindu