External Affairs Minister Dr. S Jaishankar will address the inaugural session of the 7th Indian Ocean Conference that will be held on February 9, 2024.
GS II: International Relations
Dimensions of the Article:
- About 7th Indian Ocean Conference
- About Indian Ocean Conference
About 7th Indian Ocean Conference:
- India’s External Affairs Minister will address the inaugural session of the 7th Indian Ocean Conference to be held in Perth, Australia on February 9.
- It is a flagship consultative forum for countries in the Indian Ocean Region, organized annually by the Ministry of External Affairs since 2016, in association with the India Foundation.
- Theme: “Towards a Stable and Sustainable Indian Ocean”.
- The Conference will feature Ministers from over 22 countries and senior officials from 16 countries and 6 multilateral organizations.
About Indian Ocean Conference
The Indian Ocean Conference (IOC) is an annual event that has been held since 2016, serving as a crucial platform for regional countries to engage in discussions on matters pertaining to the region. Here are the key points about the IOC:
Focus and Objectives:
- The IOC concentrates on fostering regional cooperation under the framework of Security and Growth for All in the Region (SAGAR).
- It brings together key states and maritime partners in the Indian Ocean region to address pertinent issues.
- While the primary focus is on coastal countries of the Indian Ocean, the conference has expanded its scope to cover important global issues.
- Dignitaries attending the conference include the President of Mauritius, Vice President of Maldives, and India’s External Affairs Minister, S Jaishankar.
- Foreign Ministers from Bhutan, Nepal, Bahrain, and Singapore, along with ministerial representatives from Seychelles, Sri Lanka, and Madagascar, are also expected to participate.
- Around 150 foreign guests, including representatives from D8, SAARC, and BIMSTEC, are anticipated to attend.
Significance of the IOC:
- The IOC holds significant importance in terms of strengthening partnerships with Indian Ocean countries, promoting regional political engagement, and facilitating decision-making during crisis situations.
- It provides a platform for participating countries to discuss global events and make informed decisions regarding future actions.
-Source: All India Radio, The Hindu