Focus: GS III- Science and Technology
Why in News?
Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) Science & Technology said, India’s maiden human space flight “Gaganyaan” is targeted to be launched in the fourth quarter of 2024
- Under the Gaganyaan 3 flights will be sent into orbit of which two are unmanned flights and one is human spaceflight.
- The Gaganyaan system module, called the Orbital Module will have three Indian astronauts, including a woman.
- It will circle Earth at a low-earth-orbit at an altitude of 300-400 km from earth for 5-7 days.
- GSLV Mk III, also called the LVM-3 (Launch Vehicle Mark-3,) the three-stage heavy lift launch vehicle, will be used to launch Gaganyaan as it has the necessary payload capability.
Significance of the Gaganyaan Mission
- Gaganyaan will involve numerous agencies, laboratories, disciplines, industries and departments and help inspire youth along with enhancing science and technology levels.
- It will help in improvement of industrial growth and development of technology for social benefits.
- It will also help in improving international collaboration in the field of space technology.