Researchers have developed a smart bandage which can help treat chronic wounds.
GS III: Science and Technology
Dimensions of the Article:
- About Smart Bandage
- How does it work?
About Smart Bandage:
- A smart bandage is a type of bandage made from a soft and stretchable polymer that adheres to the skin.
- It incorporates a bioelectronics system with biosensors to monitor biomarkers present in wound exudate.
- The bandage collects data from the wound and transmits it wirelessly to a smartphone or tablet for review by a healthcare professional.
- It includes a hydrogel layer with drug-release capabilities and the ability to stimulate tissue regrowth using a pair of electrodes.
How does it work?
- Biosensors within the smart bandage analyze the chemical composition of the wound exudate, which changes as the wound heals, providing information about the wound status.
- Additional sensors monitor parameters like pH and temperature in real-time to detect signs of infection and inflammation.
- The bandage’s pair of electrodes not only stimulate tissue regrowth but also control the release of drugs from the hydrogel layer.
- The wireless functionality of the smart bandage eliminates the need for bulky equipment and wired connections, addressing limitations of existing electrical stimulation devices and increasing its clinical usability.
-Source: The Hindu