Focus: GS III- Agriculture
Why in News?
The Agricultural and Processed Foods Export Development Authority (APEDA) targets 1000 Farmer Producer Organisations (FPOs) to turn direct exporters of farm produce.
Agricultural and Processed Foods Export Development Authority (APEDA)
Nodal: Ministry of Commerce and Industry
- The Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority (APEDA) was established by the Government of India under the Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority Act, 1985.
- The Authority has its headquarters in New Delhi.
- A Chairman is appointed by the Central Government.
- APEDA is mandated with the responsibility of export promotion and development of the scheduled products viz. fruits, vegetables and their products; meat and meat products; poultry and poultry products; dairy products; confectionery, biscuits and bakery products; honey, jaggery and sugar products; cocoa and its products, chocolates of all kinds; alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages; cereal and cereal products; groundnuts, peanuts and walnuts, pickles, papads and chutneys; guar gum; floriculture and floriculture products; herbal and medicinal plants.
- APEDA has been entrusted with the responsibility to monitor import of sugar.
- Registration of persons as exporters of the scheduled products and fixing of standards and specifications for the scheduled products for the purpose of exports.
- Carrying out inspection of meat and meat products in slaughterhouses, processing plants, storage premises and improving packaging of the scheduled products.
What is a Farmer Producer Organisation (FPO)?
- A Farmer Producer Organisation (FPO) is a legal entity formed by farmers as primary producers.
- It is a type of Producer Organisation (PO) where the members are all farmers.
- The main goal of an FPO is to increase the competitiveness and advantage of farmers in emerging market opportunities.
- FPOs provide services such as the supply of seed, market linkages, training, financial advice, technical advice, and networking.
- The FPOs operate without discrimination based on social, gender, political, racial, or religious factors.
- Small Farmers’ Agribusiness Consortium (SFAC) is a supporting organization for the promotion of FPOs