According to recent research, the chiral Bose-liquid state may be an entirely new state of matter.
GS III: Science and Technology
Formation of Chiral Bose-Liquid State:
- The chiral Bose-liquid state is a unique state of matter that exists at temperatures approaching absolute zero or in the quantum realm.
- Matter in this state behaves differently from solids, liquids, and gases.
- Researchers achieved this state using a bi-layer semiconducting device.
- The top layer of the device contains freely moving electrons, while the bottom layer is filled with “holes” that can be occupied by electrons.
- By bringing the two layers very close together and creating a local imbalance, electrons are left with insufficient holes to fill, resulting in the formation of the chiral Bose-liquid state.
- In this state, electrons exhibit predictable patterns and become resistant to changes in spin, a characteristic of subatomic particles.
- The synchronized movements of electrons in this state hold potential for applications such as novel digital encryption systems.
- Creating and controlling such states of matter is challenging but offers exciting possibilities for future technological advancements.
-Source: Indian express