- Mission Indradhanush was launched in 2014 to achieve full immunisation coverage for all children and pregnant women at a rapid pace.
- Intensified Mission Indradhanush (IMI) was launched from Vadnagar in 2017 and its second version (2.0) 2.0 is going to be launched from Dec 2, 2019.
- Through IMI, Government aims to reach each and every child upto 2 years of age and all those pregnant women who have been left uncovered under the routine immunisation programme/Universal Immunisation Programme (UIP).
- It aims to achieve targets of full immunization coverage in 272 districts in 27 States.
- It shall be implemented in the block level (652 blocks) in Uttar Pradesh and Bihar.
- It will focus on urban, underserved population and tribal areas.
- It consists of 4 rounds of immunization that will be conducted in the selected districts and urban cities between Dec 2019 – March 2020.
- The UIP basket has vaccines for ten diseases i.e
1. BCG for TB, OPV for poliomyelitis,
2. monovalent measles vaccine for measles,
3. Rota Virus vaccine for Diarrhoea,
4. JEV for Japanese Encephalitis &
5. Pentavalent Vaccine for DPT (diphtheria, pertussis i.e whooping cough & tetanus) and
6. Vaccine for Hepatitis B & Pneumonia due to Hib.
7. Measles-rubella vaccine (MR) is also added now to the UIP