- Exercise La Perouse
- Atal Innovation Mission (AIM)
Focus: GS III: Security Challenges
Why in News?
A multilateral exercise La Perouse is scheduled to be conducted in the Indian Ocean Region from 13 to 14 March 2023
What is Exercise La Perouse?
- Exercise La Perouse is a multilateral maritime exercise that takes place in the Indian Ocean Region, aimed at enhancing maritime domain awareness and optimising maritime coordination among participating navies in the Indo-Pacific Region. It is conducted by the French Navy and held biennially.
- The third edition of the exercise was held from 13 to 14 March 2023 and witnessed the participation of personnel, ships and integral helicopters of the Royal Australian Navy, French Navy, Indian Navy, Japanese Maritime Self-Defence Force, Royal Navy and the United States Navy.
- The exercise provides an opportunity for like-minded navies to develop closer links in planning, coordination and information sharing for seamless maritime operations.
- This year’s exercise included complex and advanced naval operations such as surface warfare, anti-air warfare, air defense exercises, cross-deck landings, and tactical maneuvers.
- The participation of the Indian Navy in the exercise showcased the high levels of synergy, coordination and interoperability between the friendly navies, and their commitment to a rules-based international order in the Indo-Pacific region.
Focus: GS III- Indian Economy (Infrastructure)
Why in News?
2435 e-buses deployed across various States/UTs under FAME India Scheme Phase-II
- FAME India is a part of the National Electric Mobility Mission (NEMM) Plan. Main thrust of FAME is to encourage electric vehicles by providing subsidies.
- NEMM intends to allow hybrid and electric vehicles to become the first choice for the purchasers so that these vehicles can replace the conventional vehicles and thus reduce liquid fuel consumption in the country from the automobile sector.
- The scheme covers Hybrid & Electric technologies like Mild Hybrid, Strong Hybrid, Plug in Hybrid & Battery Electric Vehicles.
- Monitoring Authority: Department of Heavy Industries, the Ministry of Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises.
- Under this scheme, demand incentives will be availed by buyers (end users/consumers) upfront at the point of purchase and the same shall be reimbursed by the manufacturers from Department of Heavy Industries, on a monthly basis.
- Fame India Scheme has four focus areas:
- Technology development
- Demand Creation
- Pilot Projects
- Charging Infrastructure
Revamped FAME-II scheme
- The Centre has made a partial modification of the FAME-II, including increasing the demand incentive for electric two-wheelers to Rs. 15,000 per KWh from an earlier uniform subsidy of Rs 10,000 per KWh for all EVs, including plug-in hybrids and strong hybrids except buses.
- The government has also capped incentives for electric two-wheelers at 40% of the cost of vehicles, up from 20% earlier.
- It will bring down the prices of electric two-wheelers nearer to the IC (internal combustion engine) vehicles and remove one of the biggest blocks of the high sticker price of electric two-wheelers.
- Together with the other important factors like extremely low running cost, low maintenance and zero emission, such price levels will surely spur a substantial demand for electric two-wheelers.
Focus: GS II- Government policies and Interventions
Why in News?
Atal Innovation Mission (AIM) – NITI Aayog launched ATL Sarthi, a comprehensive self-monitoring framework to strengthen the ever-growing ecosystem of Atal Tinkering Labs (ATL).
About Atal Innovation Mission
- The Mission has been set up under the NITI Aayog, in accordance with the Hon’ble Finance Minister’s declaration in the 2015 Budget Speech.
- The objectives of the AIM are to create and promote an ecosystem of innovation and entrepreneurship across the country via interventions at school, university, research institutions, MSME and industry levels.
- The AIM has focused on both infrastructure creation and institution building.
- The AIM has worked on integrating innovation ecosystem both nationally and globally
- Atal Tinkering Labs: Creating problem solving mindset across schools in India.
- Atal Incubation Centers: Fostering world class startups and adding a new dimension to the incubator model.
- Atal New India Challenges: Fostering product innovations and aligning them to the needs of various sectors/ministries.
- Mentor India Campaign: A national mentor network in collaboration with the public sector, corporates and institutions, to support all the initiatives of the mission.
- Atal Community Innovation Centre: To stimulate community centric innovation and ideas in the unserved /underserved regions of the country including Tier 2 and Tier 3 cities.
- Atal Research and Innovation for Small Enterprises (ARISE): To stimulate innovation and research in the MSME industry.