Focus: GS II: Polity and Governance
Why in News?
Economic Advisory Council to Prime Minister (EAC-PM) will release the Social Progress Index (SPI) for states and districts of India on December 20, 2022.
Social Progress Index (SPI) Report
- SPI is a broad tool designed to provide a thorough assessment of the social progress the nation has made at the national and sub-national levels.
- The Social Progress Imperative, led by Michael Green, and the Institute for Competitiveness, under the direction of Dr. Amit Kapoor, prepared the report.
- It was mandated by Economic Advisory Council to the Prime Minister of India.
- The report attempts to present a systematic assessment of the social progress made in the nation at all levels, with state and district-level rankings and scorecards.
- The paper also discusses the accomplishments of the districts that scored highly on the index and how states contribute to societal advancement.
- An examination of India’s Aspirational Districts is presented in a separate section of the report, which helps readers gain a deeper knowledge of socioeconomic advancement at the local level.
- For policymakers to achieve sustained socio-economic growth in the upcoming years, the study will be a vital facilitator and tool.
Components of SPI
- Basic Human Needs: It assesses the performance of states and districts in terms of Nutrition and Basic Medical Care, Water and Sanitation, Personal Safety and Shelter.
- Foundations of Wellbeing: It evaluates the progress made by the country across the components of Access to Basic Knowledge, Access to Information and Communication, Health and Wellness, and Environmental Quality.
- Opportunity: It focuses on aspects of Personal Rights, Personal Freedom and Choice, Inclusiveness, and Access to Advanced Education.