Why in news?
- U.S. President Donald Trump Backing away from further conflict, said on 8th January 2020, that Iranian missile strikes on bases in Iraq had not harmed any U.S. troops stationed there and damage was minimal, an outcome he said showed Tehran wanted to prevent an escalation into conflict.
- Iranian Forces fired missiles at military bases housing U.S. Troops in Iraq on 8th saying it was in retaliation for the killing of Iranian Commander Quassem Soleimani on January 3rd.
- Trump urged world powers to quit a 2015 nuclear accord with Iran that Washington withdrew from in 2018 and work for a new deal, an issue that has been at the heart of rising tensions between Washington and Tehran.
- Iran has rejected new talks.
- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif had said the strikes “concluded” Tehran’s response to the killing of Soleimani
- Soleimani was responsible for building up Iran’s network of proxy armies across the Middle East.