PM has inaugurated the second United Nations World Geospatial Information Congress (UNWGIC) in Hyderabad.
GS II: International Relations
Dimensions of the Article:
- What is UNWGIC?
- Objectives of UNWGIC
- Advantages of geospatial technology
What is UNWGIC?
- In 2018, Deqing, Zhejiang Province, China hosted the inaugural World Geospatial Information Congress of the United Nations.
- The UNWGIC is organised every four years by the United Nations Committee of Experts on Global Geospatial Information Management (UN-GGIM).
- It is hosted by the Ministry of Science and Technology of the Government of India.
- The goals are to improve global cooperation between Member States and pertinent stakeholders in the management and capabilities of geospatial information.
- The theme of UNWGIC 2022 is ‘Geo-Enabling the Global Village: No one should be left behind’.
Objectives of UNWGIC
- The initiative intends to offer reliable and high-quality geospatial data to serve national and international policy goals.
- Additionally, it emphasises global coordination and cooperation in the creation of geospatially connected human data.
- It supports social growth and wellbeing, tackles environmental and climate change issues, and embraces technological advances.
Advantages of geospatial technology:
- Geospatial technology can be used to create intelligent maps and models which help to collect geographically referenced data.
- Decisions based on the value and importance of resources, most of which are limited, can become easy through geospatial technology.
- Intelligent maps and models can be created using geospatial technology.
- It can be used to reveal spatial patterns hidden in large amounts of data that are complex to access collectively through mapping.
-Source: The Hindu