Why in news?
WHO told, 90% of cases of the overall outbreak, are from Europe and the U.S.A. So, we are certainly not seeing the peak yet.
World Health Organization (WHO)
- The World Health Organization (WHO) is a specialized agency of the United Nations responsible for international public health.
- It is headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland.
- Its main objective is ensuring “the attainment by all peoples of the highest possible level of health.”
- The WHO’s broad mandate includes advocating for universal healthcare, monitoring public health risks, coordinating responses to health emergencies, and promoting human health and well-being.
- The World Health Assembly (WHA), composed of representatives from all 194 member states, serves as the agency’s supreme decision-making body.
Roles and Functions of WHO
- The directing and coordinating authority on international health work.
- Maintain and establish collaboration with the United Nations, health administrations or groups and any other organisation as may be deemed appropriate.
- Assist Governments, upon request, in strengthening health services
- Provide appropriate technical assistance and in the event of emergencies, necessary aid upon the request or acceptance of Governments.
- Provide or assist in providing, upon the request of the United Nations, health services and facilities to special groups, such as the peoples of trust territories.